Changes to the appointments of some priests, along with new appointments for permanent deacons, have been announced by Bishop Fintan Gavin.
The four remaining families of parishes in the diocese have also been announced.
This is Bishop Fintan's message announcing these changes:-
When 12 Families of Parishes were established in the Diocese last summer, I said at the time that ‘bringing parishes together in this way presents an opportunity for much greater lay participation and shared leadership of parishes’. Since last summer, we have seen great progress as priests and people have taken this opportunity to work together, united in mission. I am deeply grateful for the creativity, courage and faith of our parishes to embark on this new way of being church into the future.
At the end of May this year, we gathered as people and priests from existing Families of Parishes and those to be established this summer in two very successful diocesan gatherings. Eilís Casey has taken up the role of Parish Life Coordinator in the Office of Mission and Ministry to work with parishes. She will soon be joined by a Coordinator of Faith Development to support parishes and Families of Parishes as we continue to work together and witness to the Gospel in new ways.
This year we will establish four further Families of Parishes:
- Ballineaspaig, Curraheen Road, Sacred Heart and Wilton
- Ballinlough, Blackrock, Blackrock Road and Mahon
- Douglas/Rochestown, Frankfield/Grange and Turner’s Cross
- Mayfield (St. Joseph’s), Upper Mayfield and Pastoral Care of Holy Family Church, Military Hill
Introducing Families of Parishes in my Pastoral Letter Putting Out into Deep Waters last year I said that if we needed to revise some of the arrangements around Families of Parishes, we would do so. I propose widening the Family of Parishes of South Parish, Ss Peter and Paul’s and St. Patrick’s to include the Parishes of Blackpool/The Glen/Ballyvolane, Sunday’s Well and The Cathedral. In this arrangement, the pastoral care of Holy Family Church, Military Hill will be provided by the Family of Parishes of Mayfield (St. Joseph’s) and Upper Mayfield.
I am grateful to many priests who are undertaking new appointments this year. I continue to be grateful for their willingness to minister in new ways with people in Families of Parishes. As I said last year, I believe the Family of Parishes way of being church will allow us all to encounter Christ personally, to become missionary disciples building up God’s Kingdom of justice, love and peace.
Family of Parishes of Ballineaspaig, Curraheen Road, Sacred Heart Western Road and Wilton
- Canon Robert Brophy Co-PP resident in Curraheen Road
- Fr. Donal Cotter Co-PP resident in Ballineaspaig
- Fr. Con Doherty MSC Co-PP resident in Sacred Heart, Western Road
- Fr. Michael O’Leary SMA Co-PP resident in Wilton
- Fr. Des Farren MSC CC resident in Sacred Heart, Western Road
Moderator: Canon Robert Brophy Co-PP
Family of Parishes of Ballinlough, Blackrock, Blackrock Road and Mahon
- Fr. John Denvir SMA Co-PP resident in Blackrock Road
- Monsignor Gearoid Dullea Co-PP resident in Ballinlough
- Fr. Michael Keohane Co-PP resident in Blackrock
- Fr. Jerome Anoumou-Sassou SMA CC resident in Blackrock Road
- Fr. Rafal Zielonka CC resident in Mahon
Moderator: Fr. Michael Keohane Co-PP
Family of Parishes of Blackpool/The Glen/Ballyvolane, South Parish, Ss. Peter and Paul’s, St. Patrick’s, Sundays Well and The Cathedral
- Canon John O’Donovan Co-PP resident in The Cathedral
- Fr. Kevin O’Regan Co-PP resident in South Parish
- Fr. Seán Crowley CC resident in The Cathedral
- Fr. Jilson Kokkandathail CC resident in South Parish
- Fr. Marius O’Reilly CC resident in Ss. Peter and Paul’s
- Fr. Shinu Varghese CC resident in The Cathedral
Moderator: Canon John O’Donovan Co-PP
Family of Parishes of Douglas/Rochestown, Frankfield/Grange and Turner’s Cross
- Fr. Noel O’Sullivan Co-PP resident in Turner’s Cross
- Canon Teddy O’Sullivan Co-PP resident in Douglas & Rochestown
- Fr. Ray Riordan Co-PP resident in Frankfield & Grange
- Fr. Pat O’Mahony SMA CC resident in Douglas & Rochestown
- Fr. Pat Stevenson AP resident in Turner’s Cross
Moderator: Canon Teddy O’Sullivan Co-PP
Family of Parishes of St. Joseph’s Mayfield, Upper Mayfield and Pastoral Care of Holy Family Church, Military Hill
- Fr. Charles Kiely Co-PP resident in Upper Mayfield
- Fr. Criostóir MacDonald Co-PP resident in St. Joseph’s Mayfield
- Fr. Pontianus Jafla (Diocese of Jalingo, Nigeria) CC pro tem resident in St. Joseph’s Mayfield
Fr. Charles Kiely Co-PP will fulfil the role of Moderator
Priests taking up appointments in Families of Parishes established in 2022
Family of Parishes of Carrigaline, Crosshaven, The Harbour Parishes (Monkstown and Passage West) and Tracton Abbey
Family of Parishes of Drimoleague, Dunmanway, Kilmichael and Uibh Laoire
- Fr. Colin Doocey to be Chaplain in Cork University Hospital
- Fr. Pierce Cormac on sick leave
Diaconal Appointments in the Diocese
- Deacon John Guirey appointed Deacon in the Family of Parishes of Carrigaline, Crosshaven, The Harbour Parishes and Tracton Abbey anchored in Carrigaline Parish
- Deacon David Lane appointed Deacon in the Family of Parishes of Carraig na bhFear, Glanmire, Glounthaune and Watergrasshill anchored in the Parishes of Glanmire and Glounthaune
- Deacon Frank McKevitt appointed Deacon in Family of Parishes of Ballinora, Ballincollig and Ovens anchored in Ballincollig Parish.
Fr. Aidan Vaughan OFM. Cap. will retire from full-time ministry. I am deeply grateful for his service and commitment over many years in different appointments throughout his dedicated priestly ministry.
- Monsignor Gearóid Dullea Co-PP to be Diocesan Chancellor
- Fr. Michael Keohane Co-PP to be Diocesan Education Secretary and continue as Diocesan Secretary pro tem.
These appointments take effect on Saturday 12th August 2023
Your sincerely in Christ
✠ Fintan Gavin
Bishop of Cork and Ross