This selection of scripture readings is intended as a guide
Normally, the first reading is taken from the Old Testament; this is followed by a Psalm which may be read or sung.
The second reading is taken from the New Testament.
The couple may also select the Gospel, which is read by the priest or deacon.
The approved texts for use in Ireland are the Jerusalem and RSV translation of the bible.
You can find the actual text of these readings in the bible. Look up the these references with your proposed spouse and decide together.
Old Testament Readings (and Psalms)
- Male and female he created them (Genesis 1:26-28:31)
- They become one flesh (Genesis 2:18-24)
- Isaac took Rebekah and he loved her. So he was comforted after his mother’s death (Genesis 24:48-51.58-67)
- May the Lord of heaven, my child, guide and prosper you and grant you mercy and peace (Tobit 7:6-124)
- Grant that we may grow old together (Tobit 8:4-8)
- Love is strong as death (Song of Songs 2:8-10.14.16;8:6-7)
- Like the sun rising is the beauty of a good wife in her well-ordered home (Sirach 26:1-4.13-16)
- I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah (Jeremiah 31:31-34)
- Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb (Revelation 19:1.5-9)
- A woman who fears the Lord is to be praised (Proverbs 31:10-13.19-20.30-31)
New Testament Readings
- Who will separate us from the love of Christ? (Romans 8:31-35.37-39)
- Present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God (Romans 12:1-2.9-18)
- Your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit (I Corinthians 6:13-15.17-20)
- If I do not have love, I gain nothing (I Corinthians 12:31-13:8)
- This is a great mystery, and I am applying it to Christ and the Church (Ephesians 5:2.21-33)
- Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony (Colossians 3:12-17)
- All of you, have unity of spirit, sympathy, love for one another (1 Peter 3:1-9)
- Let us love in truth and action (1 John 3:18-24)
- God is love (1 John 4:7-12)
- May God grant you to live in harmony with one another (Romans 15:1b-3a.5-7.13)
- Maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace (Ephesians 4:1-6)
- The peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts (Philippians 4:4-9)
- Let marriage be held in honour by all (Hebrews 13:1-4a.5-6b)
- Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven (Matthew 5:1-12)
- Your are the light of the world (Matthew 5:13-16)
- He built his house on rock (Matthew 7:21.24-29)
- What God has joined together, let no one separate (Matthew 19:3-6)
- This is the greatest and first commandment. And a second is like it (Matthew 22:35-40)
- There are no longer two, but one flesh (Mark 10:6-9)
- Jesus did this, the first of his signs, in Cana of Galilee (John 2:1-11)
- Abide in my love (John 15:9-12)
- This is my commandment, that you love one another (John 15:12-16)
- That they may become completely one (John 17:20-26)