Rev. John P. White CC

Deceased

Parish Of Birth
Clonakilty / Darrara

Colleges Attended
All Hallows College Dublin, Ireland

Details Of Ordination
All Hallows College, Dublin 9
19/6/1938

Appointments
Rosscarbery AP : 1980 – 1993

Notes
Ordained for the Diocese of Auckland, New Zealand. Served in Rosscarbery after his retirement from Australia until his death.

Date Of Death
26/8/1994

Place Of Death
Mount Carmel Hospital, Clonakilty

Place Of Burial
St. Fachtna’s Church Grounds, Rosscarbery, Co. Cork

Obituary
Fr. John White died in the care of the Sisters and staff of Mount Carmel, Clonakilty on August 26th, 1994. His long and full life came to an end in the same land where it had begun – a part of West Cork which he held in deep affection.
Fr. John was born in Tullineasky, near Clonakilty in 1912, the fourth of nine children. Two of his sisters entered the Religious life. He first attended the local school, then went to the North Monastery Secondary School, Cork and Rockwell.
He was ordained to the priesthood in 1938 at All Hallows? College ? a place for which he always held a special place in his heart.
In the years that followed he gave almost 40 years of ministry in the diocese of Auckland, New Zealand. He returned to his native Lisavaird in 1976 and until a short time before his death was most active in the pastorate in Rosscarbery Parish.
Shortly after his death, David White, one of Fr. John’s nephews, described the kind of man Fr. John was: “What a great deal he experienced in those years. Coming from farming stock, his approach to his work was direct and natural, unflagging and always encouraging. Even in his spare time his preoccupations were related to his work as a priest.
“He was an avid reader of serious material. He didn?t possess a television, but he was a most diligent correspondent, keeping in regular contact with colleagues and friends the world over.
“His attachment to the Lisavaird area was atavistic and, in addition to the religious duties he performed there, he was mainly instrumental in the building of a fine community hall for the locality.
“Father John loved the Church; he delighted in clerical company.
“He was a forthright man and a dedicated priest.”

[Published in the Cork and Ross Diocesan Directory 1995]