Rev. Edmund Fitzgerald CC

Deceased

Parish Of Birth
Killarney, Co. Kerry (Diocese of Kerry)

Colleges Attended
St. Patrick’s College, Maynooth Co Kildare, Ireland

Details Of Ordination
St. Patrick’s College Chapel, Maynooth, Co. Kildare
17/6/1900

Appointments
Retired ex Kinsale CC : 1927

Kinsale CC : 23/9/1917 – 1927

Murragh and Templemartin CC : 14/1/1917 – 23/9/1917

Uibh Laoire CC : 2/5/1909 – 14/1/1917

Chaplain, North Presentation Convent : 25/5/1902 – 2/5/1909

Chaplain, Fever Hospital, Cork : 8/9/1901 – 25/5/1902

Chaplain, Mount St. Joseph’s : 8/9/1901 – 25/5/1902

Chaplain, Presentation Convent, Crosshaven : 25/6/1900 – 8/9/1901

Notes
He was adopted (pro tem) from the Diocese of Kerry on the 27/6/1900, and in August 1903, he was affiliated to the Diocese of Cork.
He was a brother of Dick Fitzgerald, Kerry All-Ireland Footballer and official after whom the G.A.A. Stadium in Killareney is named. He was joint author of How to Play Gaelic Football with his brother Dick. In 1927, he organised an American tour for the Kerry team (while still based in Cork diocese). He travelled out ahead of the team. Unfortunately, he had very few happy memories of this historic event, as a member of the organising committee misappropriated most of the funds, from which upset he never fully recovered.
On the headstone marking his grave and that of other family members is the following inscription: Tugadar a saogal ag obair, ar son teanga, ceoil, cluci, agus saoirse na hEireann. (They gave their life working for the language, music, games, and the freedom of Ireland)
For a brief pen-picture of Fr. Fitzerald we would recommend:
a. Dick Fitzgedrald: King in a Kingdom of Kings (2008), by Tom Looney, p. 9, 174, 187, 210.
b. Newcestown Hurling & Football Club – a tale of heroes… sung and unsung p. 7-9.

Date Of Death
1/8/1934

Place Of Death
Lindville Hospital, Ballintemple, Cork

Place Of Burial
New Cemetery, Killarney, Co. Kerry

Obituary
The Solemn Requiem Mass was celebrated at St. Mary’s Cathedral, Killarney, Co. Kerry.

Associated Links
His cousin, Fr. John B. O’Sullivan