Rev. Dr. Florence McCarthy

Deceased

Parish Of Birth
Macroom, Cloyne

Colleges Attended
Pontifical Irish College Rome, Italy.

Details Of Ordination
Irish College, Rome
1784

Appointments
Bishop : 1/3/1803 – 17/6/1810

South Parish PP : 23/11/1799 – 17/6/1810

Passage West PP : 7/1792 – 23/11/1799

Kinsale PP : 1/1792 – 7/1792

Ss. Peter & Paul’s Adm : 1790 – 1792

Diocese of Kerry : 1785 – 1787

Notes
Dr. McCarthy was born in Macroom in 1761 and was ordained for Kerry Diocese (Ardfert & Aghadoe) and served in Kerry after ordination. When Bishop Moylan transferred to Cork in 1787 he persuaded Dr McCarthy to follow him. He was appointed Vicar General of the Diocese of Cork in 1791.
He had been proposed for bishop of a number of Munster dioceses before he was appointed Coadjutor Bishop in Cork in 1803 and consecrated in 1804. He preached the homily at the dedication of the Cathedral in Cork on 22 August 1808.
While PP in the South Parish, he was responsible for a major extension of the church, including an organ gallery, a southern transept and a northern transept. He was a strong advocate of the cause of St. Finbarr and campaigned to Rome to have a special Mass in honour of St Finbarr approved.

Date Of Death
17/6/1810

Place Of Death
South Parish

Place Of Burial
Initially in the church yard of St. Finbarr’s South Church. He was reintered inside the church 30 years later

Obituary
Dr McCarthy contracted typhoid fever while ministering to a sick parishioner. A monument to his memory was commissioned by parishioners from Derry-born John Heffernan and was executed in London. It is in the South Chapel (St Finbarr’s South Church,Dunbar Street, Cork.).