Bishop Fintan Gavin has advised parishes that arrangements can be made for the celebration of the Sacrament of Baptism in parishes to take place from Thursday 5th August next limited to immediate family members to include parents, siblings, sponsors and grandparents.
Every effort should be made to keep the number in attendance to less than ten people for individual baptisms. The guidance further states that celebrations ‘must follow all protective measures and social gatherings afterwards should be avoided’.
First Holy Communion and Confirmation
The celebration of the Sacraments of First Holy Communion and Confirmation in parishes ‘should not take place at this time’. It is hoped that further guidance will become available shortly.
While the number of those to attend the celebration of the Sacrament of Marriage in a church can increase to 100 people from 5th August next this is only to happen where the size of the church allows and the following protective measures can be implemented:
· social distancing guidelines are adhered to
· the premises can be subdivided into distinct sections (cordoned or marked appropriately) of not more than 50 persons in each section
· there is a minimum of 4 metres between sections
· each section has its own entrance and exit route
· there are separate arrangements for elements of the service involving close contact, for example the distribution of Holy Communion
· strictly no movement of people between sections before, during or after the service
· the premises is well-ventilated
If a church cannot accommodate 100 people in line with these protective measures it may be possible to facilitate the celebration of the Sacrament of Marriage in a neighbouring church that can accommodate such numbers.
You will find the current government guidance on https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/7894b-post-cabinet-statement-resilience-and-recovery-the-path-ahead/#baptisms-communions-and-confirmations <https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/7894b-post-cabinet-statement-resilience-and-recovery-the-path-ahead/#baptisms-communions-and-confirmations>