Parish Of Birth
Macroom, Co. Cork (Diocese of Cloyne)
Irish College, Paris France
Details Of Ordination
Bandon PP : 1853 – 13/4/1878
South Parish CC : 1842 – 1853
Chaplain, Garrison Barracks : 1841 – 1842
Bantry CC : 1839 – 1841
Cathedral/St. Patrick’s CC (King’s St) : 1838 – 1839
Ss. Peter & Paul’s CC : 1836 – 1838
On the completion of his studies in Paris, he was appointed professor of Logic and Belles-Lettres at the Irish College(Paris).
His appointment as Military Chaplain was the first ever such appointment in Ireland
On his appointment as Parish Priest of Bandon he set about raising funds for the erecting of a church in the town. The Catholic place of worship was a poor Chapel – St. Fintan’s on Gallows Hill (outside the town walls). In 1858 the building was commenced, and on the 6/6/1861 the Church of the Immaculate Conception & St. Patrick was consecrated. He had spent £11,000 on the construction of the church. However, the church remained internally for another 25 years until a part of the churchyard was sold to the Railway Company to construct a tunnell under it, and the price paid enabled them to complete the internal work.
Before his death he had collected £2,000 to complete the construction of the Presentation Convent Schools in the town
He was appointed Canon of the newly-established Cathedral Chapter on the 23/2/1858.
Canon O’Brien was usually called Abbe O’Brien
Date Of Death
Place Of Death
Parochial House, Bandon, Co. Cork
Place Of Burial
In the southern aisle of St. Patrick’s Church, Bandon, Co. Cork
His Lordship, Most Rev. Dr. Delany, Bishop of Cork, presided at the Solem Requiem Mass. The celebrant of the Mass was, Very Rev. George Canon Sheehan, P.P., V.G., (His classmate at the Irish College Paris), St. Patrick’s, Cork; deacon was, Fr. James Brady, C.C., Kilbrittain; sub-deacon was, Fr. John Magner, Chaplain Bandon Convent.