Parish Of Birth
Details Of Ordination
St. Finbarr’s Seminary, Farranferris : 1915 – 1920
Born in Australia, the son of parents who emigrated to that country from Durrus, Co. Cork.
Rev. Dr. O’Dalaigh was a priest of remarkable attainments in scholarship and learning. He spoke and wrote in 12 languages and served his ministry duties in many parishes. He ministered in Goulburn (Australia), in Rome and London, and in Cork.
Ill-health forced him to leave his post as president of Goulburn Seminary. He came to London as Chaplain to a well known Catholic family. In London he made his first acquaintance with the Irish language. After a brief period he was acknowledged master of the language. When he came to Ireland he continued with enthusiasm his work for the Irish language., spending a great deal of time with Fr. Rdmund Fitzgerald, then curate of Iveleary(1909-1917), where he later became principal at Ballingeary Irish College. He was Professor of Irish at St. Finbarr’s Seminary, and held the Chair of Russian in Cork University College for some time
This interesting article from around 1905 was written by the then Uibh Laoire parish priest Rev Patrick Hurley. It gives an account of the setting up of Colaiste Na Mumhan.
I was fortunate in meeting the Rev. Richard O’Daly, D.D., priest of the diocese, Goulbourne, Australia, who made his studies at the College of Propaganda, Rome. He had an opportunity there of studying languages from his contacts with students from all nations, and subsequently traveled through Europe, where he acquired a perfect knowledge of nearly every European language. Born of Australia, but of parents from about here, he wished to learn the Irish language. He began at the Gaelic League classes in London, where for a short time he did missionary work. Coming here, he perfected his knowledge of Irish, and I was fortunate in securing his services to serve the Pilgrims coming to pray at the Oratory, Gougane Barra.
In the summer of 1903 he got around him scholars from several parts of Ireland and also the country around. This was the start of the College. Mass every morning, prayers in Irish after the Rosary in Irish. The Angelus also. After breakfast in the large dining hall of Cronin’s Hotel came a class. Then the students went in knots to visit and converse with the people around. They had their evening meetings, and Irish sermon on Sundays. Everyone was pleased with their time. In the autumn of that year, at a “Feis” at Ballingeary, a village four miles from Gougane Barra, Father Goulding, of New Zealand, offered an annual subscription towards an Irish College at Gougane Barra. The London Gaelic League and the Dublin branches also subscribed liberally, and many subscriptions flowed in. It was found the accommodation at Gougane Barra was too limited, and it was arranged to have the College opened in Ballingeary, where there was a good hall for lectures, excellent schools where the children were Irish-speaking, and places where lodgings could be had all in a circle.
The college opened for two sessions, July and August last year. Mr. Dermot Foley had charge, assisted by Rev. Dr. O’Daly and Mr. T. A. Scannell, lessons were given in the method of teaching Irish phonetics and metrics of Irish poetry; special classes in text books for National teachers: conventional lessons: also lectures were given in Irish history. The language of the school was as much as possible Irish; the country around is full of antiquities, Pagan and Christian. The beauty of the scenery and the healthfulness of the plan made it all to be desired. Over seventy students attended each session, several priests from all parts of Ireland, professors in colleges, National teachers, Gaelic League organizers formed the attendance. All were pleased with their time, and left with regret, many hoping to return the next session.
PATRICK HURLEY, P.P.
St. Finbarr’s, Inchigeela,
Date Of Death
Place Of Burial
St. Joseph’s Cemetery, Cork
His Lordship, Most Rev. Dr. Cohalan, Bishop of Cork, presided at the Solemn Requiem Mass at the Cork Cathedral. The celebrant was, Very Rev. Daniel Canon Cohalan, Adm. Cathedral; deacon was, Fr.. Thomas O’Keeffe, C.C., Cathedral; sub-deacon was, Fr. John O’Mahony, C.C., Cathedral; and the master of ceremonies was, Fr. Richard J. Barrett, C.C., Cathedral.