Very Rev. Patrick Hurley PP

Deceased

Parish Of Birth
Enniskeane / Desertserges

Colleges Attended
Irish College, Paris France

Details Of Ordination
Paris
1865

Appointments
Uibh Laoire PP : 1888 – 25/6/1908

Cathedral CC : 1875 – 1888

Blackrock CC : 1869 – 1875

Kilbrittain CC : 1867 – 1869

Schull CC : 1865 – 1867

Notes
During a portion of his time as Curate at the Cathedral he acted as chaplain to the Most Rev. Dr. Delany, Bishop of Cork.

He built the little chapel and erected the Stations of the Cross at the shrine of St. Finbarr in Gougane Barra, Co. Cork.
In 1904 he established Colaiste Na Mumhan (Irish Training College at Beal Ath’n Ghaorthaig (Ballingeary, Co. Cork).
He was one of the first to bring before the public the history of Blessed Thaddeus McCarthy, having discovered some manuscripts relating to him in the French libraries.

Date Of Death
25/6/1908

Place Of Death
Parochial House, Inchigeela, Co. Cork

Place Of Burial
St. Finbarr’s Oratory, Gougane Barra, Co. Cork

Obituary
The celebrant of the Solemn Requiem Mass was, Fr. James O’Mahony, C.C., St. Patrick’s; deacon was, Fr. Philip C. McSweeney, C.C., Kilmichael; sub-deacon was, Fr. John Callanan, C.C., Durrus, and the master of ceremonies was, Fr. Timothy Murphy, C.C., Inchigeela.