Parish Of Birth
St. Patrick’s College, Carlow Ireland
Details Of Ordination
St. Patrick’s College Chapel, Carlow, Co. Carlow
St. Vincent’s Seminary : 1847 – 6/7/1855
Mansion House Seminary : 01/1845 – 1847
Chaplain, City Gaol : 1835 – 1844
Everton Academy/Professor : 1835 – 1844
Cathedral CC : 1835 – 1844
Bantry CC : 1833 – 1835
In 1844 Fr. O’Sullivan took lease of the old Mansion House, which had been a centre of Orange Ascendency (now the Mercy Hospital, Cork) with a view to opening a school. In January 1845 the school was opened. It was an immediate success and he soon needed help. In 1846 he applied for help from the Oblate Community and the Vincentian Community in Dublin. His request was turned down – shortage of priests. He persevered and on December 28th 1847, Fr Richard Kickham CM and 3 fellow priests from the Vincentian community arrived in Cork. The school – St. Vincent’s Seminary, continued to grow, and in 1857 it was transferred to St. Patrick’s Place – off St. Patrick’s Hill (Everton Academy), and was used to supply priests for the Diocese. Meanwhile the lease of the Mansion House was given to Archdeacon Murphy, P.P., Ss. Peter & Paul’s for the Sisters of Mercy.
Meanwhile Fr. O’Sullivan had done his novitiate in Paris and became a member of the Vincentian Community on February 1st 1848. He returned to Cork as the second Superior General of St. Vincent’s Seminary in 1850. He continued, fulfilling at the same time, the duties of Vicar General of the Diocese of Cork until his death in 1855.
In1876, Bishop Delany decided to build a residential Diocesan Seminary. The Vincentian priests handed over St. Vincents Seminary, as a going concern, to the Diocese. Now known as St. Finbarr’s Diocesan Seminary, it was opened on September 25th.1876. It served the purpose of a day school for the Catholic youth(male) of Cork and the training for Maynooth of aspirants to the diocesan priesthood. It was run by Diocesan priests until St. Finbarr’s Seminary, Farranferris opened on September 8th 1887.
In August 1888 the Christian Brothers took over the college in St. Patrick’s Place and renamed it Christian College.
For a fuller treatise of the life and work of Fr. O’Sullivan, the following are recommended:-
a) A history of the Diocese of Cork, from the Penal Era to the Famine, by Evelyn Bolster, p.272-274.
b) A history of the Diocese of Cork, the Episcopate of William Delany, 1847 – 1886, by Evelyn Bolster, p.243.
c) The Fold, August 1961 – December 1961.
Date Of Death
Place Of Burial
Sisters of Charity Cemetery, Peacock Lane, Cork
On the 21st. July 1856, Fr. O’Sullivan’s remains were exhumed and re-interred in the Vault of St. Vincent’s Church, Sunday’s Well, Cork – St. Vincent’s Church was consecrated on the previous day (20th. July 1856).
On the 4th. June 1999, his remains were again exhumed and re-interred in the Vincentian burial ground in St. Finbarr’s Cemetery, Cork.