Parish Of Birth
St. Patrick’s College, Maynooth Co Kildare, Ireland
Details Of Ordination
Retired ex Leap CC : 1887
Leap CC : 05/1884 – 1887
Aughadown CC : 1879 – 05/1884
Cape Clear CC : 1878 – 1879
Castlehaven CC : 1874 – 1878
Cape Clear CC : 08/1873 – 1874
Sherkin Island CC : 1871 – 08/1873
He was a cousin of Fr. Andrew Murphy, C.C., Leap (1873-1875).
On the 2nd. May, 1877, the Vicar Capitular of the Diocese of Ross, Very Rev. John Donegan, P.P., Kilmeen, transferred Fr. Deasy from the Parish of Castletownsend & Myross to Timoleague.
However, we read in the West Cork Eagle & County Advertiser:
“At Union Hall the parishioners (Castletownsend & Myross) assembled on hearing of the Rev. Wm. Deasy’s removal, to express a desire that he would not be changed……”
“It was stated that the Rev. Fr. Deasy has resigned his position as curate on the mission until the appointment of the future Bishop . The parishioners have, it is asserted, expressed their intention of closing the Chapel gate should their favourite clergyman be removed”. – West Cork Eagle & County Advertiser, 5/5/1877.
“…. During the last fortnight these gates remain closed, and the people would allow no one to enter the precincts of the Chapel”.
“Meanwhile it appears that an appeal had been made from the Vicar Capitular to the Archbishop of Cashel, and he having obtained full powers from the Holy See, wrote Tuesday last(15/5/1877), both to Fr. Troy, P.P., Castlehaven & Myross, and to the Rev. Wm. Deasy, reinstating Fr. Deasy back to the Parish of Castlehaven & Myross. Immediately on receipt of this glad intelligence, the people of Myross set no bounds to their gladness and joy”. -West Cork Eagle & County Advertiser, 19/5/1877.
Place Of Death
His cousin Fr. Andrew Murphy