Rev. Leo Lennon OP Cp.

Deceased

Parish Of Birth
Saggart (Archdiocese of Dublin)

Details Of Ordination
Clonliffe College Chapel, Dublin 3
2/10/1938

Appointments
Chaplain, Port of Cork : 1966 – 1979

Notes
In 1966 Bishop Lucey asked the Dominican Community at St. Mary’s in Cork to provide a port chaplain. Fr. Leo agreed to take it on and, for the next thirteen years he spent himself by night and day in the task. To end abuses on the docks he had to be just as much a policeman as a priest. To provide healthy entertainment for seafarers he had to provide a club Anchor House which he opened on South Terrace in 1968 and nurtured down the years with a band of voluntary workers. He attributed the success of Anchor House to the girls whom he recruited from the Legion of Mary. By 1979 the effects of age and poor health forced Fr. Leo to leave Cork to take up a curacy in Tallaght, Co. Dublin.

Date Of Death
19/8/1984

Place Of Death
Richmond Hospital, Dublin 7

Place Of Burial
St. Mary’s Community Cemetery, Tallaght, Co. Dublin