Mgr. Joseph Augustine Scannell PP VG

Deceased

Parish Of Birth
St. Patrick’s

Colleges Attended
Irish College Louvain, Belgium

Pontifical Irish College Rome, Italy.

Details Of Ordination
Rome
13/3/1904

Appointments
St. Patricks (Lower Rd.) PP : 20/12/1945 – 25/2/1961

The Lough PP : 6/9/1943 – 20/12/1945

Bandon PP : 30/6/1938 – 6/9/1943

South Parish Adm. : 13/2/1938 – 30/6/1938

St. Finbarr’s Seminary, Farranferris/President : 29/7/1923 – 13/2/1938

Chaplain, Provisional Government Troops (Irish Free State) : 1922 – 29/7/1923

St. Finbarr’s Seminary, Farranferris : 1918 – 29/7/1923

Chaplain, Irish Guards (First World War) : 1914 – 1918

St. Finbarr’s Seminary, Farranferris : 09/1904 – 1914

Ministry Abroad/London : 1904 – 1904

Notes
Appointed Canon of the Cathedral Chapter on the 25/9/1930.
Appointed Vicar Forane (V.F.) of the Bando deanery on the 30/6/1938
Appointed Archdeacon on the 10/7/1944.
Appointed Vicar General of the Diocese on the 20/12/1945.
Appointed Dean of the Diocese on the 2/4/1946.
Appointed Papal Prelate with title of Monsignor in 1945.

In St. Patrick’s Parish, the outstanding monument to his concern for his parishioners is the Holy Family Church, Military Hill. When this former Methodist Church came on the market in 1949, he saw that it would be of inestimable value to the residents of the hilly parts of his parish at Barrackton, Military Road. He acquired it and opened it as the Church of the Holy Family. Holy family Church began its life as a Roman Catholic Chapel on the 23rd October 1949, when Bishop Cohalan of Cork consecrated it.

Following the cessation of the First World War (1914 – 1918), he was awarded the Military Cross and Croix de Guerre for his bravery.
As chaplain to the Provisional Government Troops, he became the first Chaplain of the Forces of Irish soldiers at Collins Barracks, Cork. As chaplain he was responsible for the dedication and re-opening for Catholic worship of the Garrison Chapel of St. Michael (Collins Barracks, Cork).
On the 17th. March 1927, his services in the Great War (1914 – 1918) were recognised when he was invited to unveil the War Memorial at the South Mall, Cork.
For his work for French culture in this country he was honoured by the French Government with the Order of the Legion of Honour.

Date Of Death
25/2/1961

Place Of Death
St. Patrick’s Hospital, Wellington Rd., Cork

Place Of Burial
St. Joseph’s Cemetery, Cork

Obituary
His Lordship Most Rev. Dr. Lucey was the celebrant of the Pontifical High Mass, the deacon being Very Rev. James Canon Bastble, P.P. V.F., Bantry, sub-deacon, Very Rev. James Canon Kelly, Adm. Cathedral; Assistant Priest, Ven. Archdeacon Thomas F. Duggan P.P., Ballypheane; and master of ceremonies, Very Rev. Daniel Canon Connolly, President St. Finbarr’s Seminary.
His Lordship, Most Rev. Dr. Ahern, Bishop of Cloyne was also present at the Solemn Requiem Mass.