Parish Of Birth
Details Of Ordination
South Parish PP : 1829 – 8/4/1847
Glanmire PP : 1828 – 1829
Carey’s Lane Chapel
Prior to his ordination, by Dr. Moylan in 1814, he was a clasical master at a school in Fermoy. After ordination he was appointed to the old church of Ss. Peter & Paul’s – Carey’s Lane Chapel. He was a determined opponent of proselytism. Together with Fr. Thomas England (brother of Bishop John England) he conducted public apologetic debates in Carey’s Lane Chapel. He was a noted preacher. His best known sermon was a panegyric (preached in the Cathedral in 1825) on Pope Pius VII who was once the prisoner of Napolean.
He was a close friend of John Hogan, the sculptor, and commissioned the first cast of the ‘Dead Christ’ now in St. Teresa’s Church, Clarendon St. Dublin 2.
Date Of Death
Place Of Death
Thornhill, Ballinlough, Cork
Place Of Burial
St. Finbarr’s (South) Church Vaults, Dunbar St., Cork
His Lordship, Most Rev. Dr. Wm. Clancy, Bishop of Oriense, presided at the Solemn Requiem Mass. The celebrant of the Mass was, Very Rev. Thomas Barry, Vic. Cap.; deacon was, Fr. Patrick Murphy, Chaplain, North presentation Convent; sub-deacon was, Fr. Augustine Maguire, Chaplain, Sisters of Mercy/Cork and the masters of ceremonies were Fr. Jeremiah O?Brien, C.C. South Parish and Fr. George Sheehan, Chaplain, South Presentation Convent.